The Mastrovich Dental Team approves of these helpful dental care tips. Read on for simple yet effective advice for those with sensitive teeth.
Sensitive teeth are not always considered to be an important talking point, but ignoring the topic could be bad for your oral health. Below are ten tips for dealing with sensitive teeth from Celebrity dentist Dr. Richard Marques, also known as the ‘king of smiles’:
1. Think about using desensitizing toothpaste, which has ingredients that help with exposed nerves in teeth.
2. Be careful with extreme temperatures of food and beverages. Room temperature is a good baseline to start at.
3. Try using an electric toothbrush or toothbrush with softer bristles and remember to brush gently.
4. Do you grind your teeth at night? Mouth guards for overnight use are a good option to ask your dentist about and try using.
5. Use the correct type of mouthwash. A good mouthwash does not have alcohol or harsh chemicals and is high in fluoride.
6. Try to eat and drink less acidic, sugary foods which can erode tooth enamel and cause more tooth sensitivity.
7. Use straws while drinking non-lukewarm or acidic beverages to avoid further damage to your teeth.
8. Do not immediately brush your teeth after eating or drinking. Wait for a least thirty minutes.
9. Avoid whitening teeth (except when using natural products such as coconut oil) for a short duration of time to let your teeth recover from sensitivity and erosion.
10. Keep up with good dental hygiene and health habits. Such as brushing twice a day, flossing and regular visits to your dentist.